Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusemail

Friday, May 24, 2013

What is Deamhan?

With the announcement of the release date for my novel Deamhan right around the corner, I've been polishing up the novel's website!


At first, I didn't know what route I wanted to take, but I did know that I wanted to give potential readers and fans an idea of what the novel is about and how important certain characters are to the story. Oh, and the Deamhan universe is a little complicated.

Q. So what does Deamhan mean?

A. Deamhan means "demon" in Irish. Pretty straight forward, right? But wait, it get's a little more interesting.


Q. What is the novel about? 

A. Here's just a sample of the synopsis.

Her soft golden skin, her warm smile…these are the only images Veronica Austin has left of her mother who disappeared without a trace twenty years ago on the streets of Minneapolis while researching the Ramanga, the Lamia, the Metusba, and the Lugat. Known only as the Deamhan, they are a different breed from the modern bloodsucking vampire.  
 A stranger to this world,  Veronica's search for the truth about her mother’s unexplained disappearance takes her into their sinister and precarious world. She gains the trust of the only other human familiar with the Deamhan lifestyle. With his help she finds not only can the Deamhan not be trusted but it’s her own father, president of a ruthful organization of researchers, who has diabolically maintained that distrust.

Q. Wait? What in the hell is Ramanga, Lamia, Metusba and Lugat? I thought this was a vampire novel?

A. Oh, it is. However, this novel is different.
Let me explain.
About a decade ago, before the days of sparkling, sissy vampires, I wanted to write a vampire novel. My idea of a vampire is an immortal creature who feeds on blood and burns during daylight. When I began to brainstorm, I realized that there are many other vampires in folk lore who haven't seen daylight. There are psychic vamps, vampires who can shapeshift ect. Some vampires live off blood, some vampires live off psychic energy. Some vampires have sharp canines, some have a row of sharp teeth, and some don't have sharp teeth at all.

I was shocked after my research and I began to think. What if I wrote about these other types of vampires? It was difficult at first. I didn't know what I would call them, how'd they act, what they'd do. So again I returned back to my research and I pinpointed creatures from different cultures. I compared them, figured them out, and in the end I had to decided if I wanted to include them or not. Some made the cut, some didn't. Believe me, there were so many to choose from.

Got it? Good.

Q. Can you explain the type of Deamhan and how they differ?

A. Sure! I'll give you a quick explanation.

Ramanga -  One of the most violent of all Deamhan. Feed by draining the blood from their human victims. They have retractable and sharp canine teeth.teeth.
Lamia -  Feed by draining on the life force from their victim's mouths, sucking them into dry husks. Lamia prefer the hunt rather than the kill. They favor eating small children.

Metusba -  known to be the less violent of the Deamhan. They use their hands to feed from the psychic aura of their victims around them. They don't necessarily have to kill their victims.

Lugat - feed on the psychic imprints of their victims and like the Metusba, they don't need to kill their victims to live. Often, the Lugat Deamhan prefer to move freely in the human world and enjoy human company.

Did I mention that there are four more clans? They don't make an appearance until the second book so there's no need to mention them right now.
Detailed information will be listed on the Deamhan website and you can read it there, once it goes active.


Q. This isn't a romance novel?

A. I don't write romance. Never have. Sure, sexual tensions occur but this book is purely based on a human woman retracing her mother's steps and finding out about the Deamhan first hand. Expect murder, killings, and death.

Q. So when will the novel be released?

Official release date hasn't been confirmed yet. When I get that information from my publisher, I'm going to blast it all over the net!

4 comments:

  1. Your book sounds really interesting and very original. Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. too good piece of information, I had come to know about your site from my friend sajid, bangalore,i have read atleast 11 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your web-page gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new post, once again hats off to you! Thanks a lot once again, Regards, bob marley quotes

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s remarkable to pay a visit this web site and reading the views of all colleagues regarding this piece of writing, while I am also keen of getting know-how.

    Top 10 Medical Websites Design 4 Physicians.

    ReplyDelete